Saturday, February 04, 2012

Michigan Surgical Mission 2012 @ SPMC

Some photos during the Michigan Surgical Mission last Jan 30-31; Feb 1-2, 2012 (Photo by: Dr. Suzette Canales)

Every year, a group of doctors and nurses from Michigan, USA, conducts a surgical mission in Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC formerly Davao Medical Center) alongside with the Maharlika Group Foundation. They have been doing this over the past few years.  The mission lasted for 4 days, w January 30 - Feb 2, 2012. Most of the procedures being offered are Total Abdominal Hysterectomy Salpingo Oophorectomy, Open Cholecystectomy, Thyroidectomy, Cheiloplasty and Open Heart Surgery, the patients for this said program was screened few weeks earlier to determine the qualified candidates for the the surgery. The group also donated medical equipment, medicines and supplies for Operating Room and patients use.

The SURGERY Team

The OB-GYNE group (Me and the surgical team- from OB and Anesthesia consultants, Residents,  Nursing Attendant and student nurses)

It is my first time to participate the surgical mission, so my week was practically waking up early in the morning preparing myself to assist on a series of surgeries. But really, it's just a typical week, since we're already used to doing this everyday. But this time around for a cause that is why it made my work more rewarding. I wasn't able to take photos though (sad), what you see here is just a fraction of what happened during the entire event. Lives have been changed.


Some members of the Michigan group, and random photos during the ongoing mission.
I have been with the Operating Room for more than 2 years already. I didn't know what path led me to this kind of career, all I know is that my profession calls for extending our knowledge and skills to serve others.   I used to be afraid going to Hospitals, hates the site of blood (what more if it's internal organs), scared of needles and people in white smock gowns/uniforms. Who would have thought that I would land this kind of profession and become colleagues with people that I used to avoid before. Other nurses, really earn big abroad. My salary is more than enough for myself, but seriously, It's service beyond the paycheck. (Chos!) 

LOL!

Here's a post about nurses that has been circulating on Facebook. My profession really requires a lot of dedication and humility for us to appreciate our work. This is indeed true! Read on:

"Nurses are being scorned for being late with medicines by oneminute sometimes, yet they are holding their bladder because they don't have time to use the restroom, starving because they missed lunch, being peed on, puked on, bled on, beat on, yelled at & are missing their family while taking care of yours. They may even be crying for you and praying for you and you not even realize it. In the minute you read this, nurses all over the world are saving lives."
  



Photos by: Rommel Hindap

1 comment:

lemmor padnih said...

goodah....