Monday, January 02, 2012

In Black and White

This is one of my Favorite sketches. A portrait of a mother and child. I made this few days after Mother's Day in 1999
Before Digital Photography become popular, there was no Photoshop nor readily available internet. Sketching was one of my favorite past time. I may not be that exceptionally good in drawing and painting but I guess I have the skill, but if not mistaken, I used to ace my Art Class in elementary. My art teachers also never failed to notice my skill and technique. I remember that one of my artwork was chosen to be reproduced as a Christmas card and our prize was a bar of Toblerone (yay!). At a young age, I know that this is the talent that I possess (naks). 

Who doesn't know Archie Comics back then? This was a popular reading past time among students.

One of my favorite art medium is Charcoal pencil. It is cost-effective, easy to control and blend, and it is simple as it is in BLACK and WHITE. Maybe I can do some part-time sketching job at the mall or somewhere in downtown near UM Bolton. Nah! Just Kidding. But, even with sketches, I'm really fond of doing portraits. I haven't continued doing sketches lately because over the years I have been busy building a so-called career. Art has evolved unceasingly since there are endless ways to express yourself through many forms and mediums.

In this post, the following sketches are dated more than 10 years ago, I was in high school then. It is just now that I have this opportunity to impart it with everyone, rather than having it all hidden behind the cabinet.

Queen Mother and Sleeping Beauty both in 1999. I am a fan of Disney Princesses.

Alice in Wonderland in 1998

Mr. Santa in 1998

Little Red Riding Hood in 1998

Sonic Boom was a popular game back then in SEGA


Sketched  Mariah Carey's Photo in her album

A Portrait of Mama Mary. Not really happy with this one because of the nose and lips. Pero ok na lang... :)



2 comments:

Julienne said...

hello! i like your blog. same atong hobbies :) keep on sketching!

Issa Irasga said...

thanks jul! needs more practice na. it's been awhile na man gud.. by the way, nice blog have there! :)